Sunday, August 28, 2011

fourth three drawing/post three

only it's six, because i'm really, really bad at this one.


Describe your typical creative process, from getting an assignment to finished piece. even for personal work, i tend to follow the process i originally learned from joel; research on the subject, freewrite ideation, thumbnails, two or three larger sketches, color studies on them, then the drawing & color applied at scale.
Describe what you think your creative process should be like. like the above, but with more time for thought between steps, & documentation, & bringing myself to ask for feedback from client or professor rather than locking the whole thing up in a tiny sketchbook tied shut as if exposure to daylight would damage it.
Research and describe a professional creator’s creative process.  in our interview last spring, annie ericsson told me: 
I start by gathering photo reference, then make sketches using a hard pencil. I'm awful at keeping sketchbooks, so usually I work on whatever size loose paper feels right! When I have a detailed outline of the image, I either redraw it on an Arches cold press watercolor block, or trace it onto a single sheet of heavy paper using a light box. Then, I plan in advance which order I'll layer the watercolors. The trick is to paint one color at a time, starting from the lightest, broadest blocks of color (initial washes, sky, and highlights), to local color, to the darkest and most detailed areas. Once I mix each color in individual ceramic nesting bowls, I grab my brushes and two big jars of water, and get painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment